About the Gargoyle
The Gargoyle is the alumni magazine of the University of Wisconsin Law School, 975 Bascom Mall, Madison, WI 53706. It is funded by private donations.
In 1963, when the existing Law School was demolished to make way for a new building, Law School Dean George Young found and rescued a sandstone gargoyle from the rubble. This figure and its departed twin had sat on the roof of the 1893 building for almost 70 years. While one of the pair had perished in its fall, the second had landed unscathed.
That rescued gargoyle, which is now permanently installed in the Law School’s atrium, gives its name to our alumni magazine and its online counterpart. It represents the indomitable strength and spirit of our University of Wisconsin Law School and its many graduates.
Visit our website for further information on the legend and lore of the Law School’s gargoyle.
Editor: Karen Koethe